Sunday, August 16, 2015

Social Media and the Coveted Sponsorship


         Since this is my blog, I have the freedom to say whatever I want, and I’m aware that this post may rub some people the wrong way…so be it.  I’ve noticed a trend over the past few years, and it extends far beyond the realm of triathlon, but since most of my Facebook/Instagram friends are fellow triathletes, I get bombarded with these types of photos every day.  It’s no longer just the selfie, it’s the selfie on the bike, on the run, getting in and out of the water, post-workout group shots, you name it…and they are everywhere.  This has created a sort of positive feedback loop in the community, where individuals who never used to post anything are suddenly posting pics of themselves every other day. 
            Why is this happening?  The majority, I believe, are just having fun chronicling their journey through this sport, and sharing their adventures with friends, and that’s fine.  A minority also exists, however, who either have sponsorships, or are trying to get them.  Interestingly, your number of Instagram followers or Facebook “likes” now directly correlates to your attractiveness to potential sponsors, regardless of your athletic abilities.  For many athletes this is great news – just build up your social media influence, and the sponsors will soon come knocking.  But where does that leave those of us who just can’t do this?  I don’t have a GoPro, and I refuse to take a picture of myself every time I get on my bike.  The thought of posting this kind of stuff literally makes me cringe.  I know of only a few other triathletes that share this view, and they are absolute powerhouses in the sport.  Guess how many sponsorships they have? ZERO. It doesn’t matter how athletically gifted you are, your silence on social media makes you invisible to sponsors. 
            But Ola, why do you care? Don’t worry about anyone else, and just do you.  True, but I’m currently a student essentially living below the poverty line, and this sport is expensive as hell.  For me, and others in my situation, every little bit can help.  And sponsors can only support so many athletes before it starts to cut into their bottom line.  So, what to do? I basically have two options: I either get over it and start playing the game, or I bow out as gracefully as possible and assume the financial repercussions.  It's really nobody's fault, this is just the way things have evolved. And there really is no other point to this post other than to vent a little.   What are your thoughts?  Am I total ass for expressing this opinion? Do you feel the same way?

No comments:

Post a Comment